VLC media player malware: VLC media player is one of the most popular media player applications on the internet. This application can be seen on almost every Windows and Mac user who loves playing media files. VLC player is an open-source, free, user-friendly, and easy-to-use media player which makes it so popular among users. Looking at the popularity, hackers have chosen VLC media players to launch massive malware attacks.
VLC media player malware is being used for cyberattacks | Computer Security
News of Malware in a VLC media player may sound shocking to you but it’s true. According to a report by Symantec’s cybersecurity unit, the Chinese hacking group Cicada is using a VLC media player to launch a cyberattack on Windows computers and laptops. The organization revealed that the VLC media player malware is being used to spy on government agencies and related organizations.
The hacking group has targeted legal, non-profit sectors, and religious organizations for the malware attack. The traces of VLC malware attack has been found in Israel, the USA, Canada, Hong Kong, Turkey, Italy, and Montenegro. India is also on this list.
How Chinese hacking groups are using VLC for malware attacks?
The Cybersecurity firm Symantec explained that the Chinese hackers embed a malicious payload to the media player export function on a clean version of VLC. Embedding codes with applications is the most common attack among hackers. Hackers get complete access to the infected system using VNC remote access server.
How to stay safe and avoid VLC media player malware?
There are various hacking groups like Cicada that perform major cyberattacks throughout the online world. Here are some of the important safety tips to avoid these types of attacks.
- Keep your software and applications up to date.
- Always download the applications from the official websites.
- Avoid using the cracked version of the applications and software.
- Avoid downloading the files from shared or untrusted links.
- Always create a strong alphanumeric password that cannot be guessed easily.
- Use 12 or more characters in your password.
- Keep backups of your important data.
- Stay aware of phishing emails. Never click on any email from an untrusted source or person.
So, these were some safety tips to stay safe from cyberattacks and VLC player malware attacks as well. Let me know your thoughts and questions in the comment section below.
- Top 5 Best Text Editors for programming | Notepad++ | Sublime Text | Atom | Mac | Windows for free
- Tata Neu, New super app from Tata has been launched with super features
- OnePlus Bullets Wireless Z2 launched with some special features
- What is Conversational AI Software, and How does it Work?
- How to link Aadhar to PAN on incomtaxindia portal: PAN with Aadhar
Leave a Reply